02 May May Newsletter 2022
We are pleased to supply you with the latest edition of Client Alert, which contains information on a number of important developments up to and including 22 April 2022.
- Employees vs contractors: more clarity coming – Recently, the High Court handed down a significant decision in a case involving the distinction between employees and contractors.
- Movement at the FBT station: COVID-19 tests, car parking – FBT is generally seen as a relatively slow-moving and quiet area of tax law. But Budget Day this year saw some movement at the FBT station, specifically regarding COVID-19 tests provided to staff, and also car parking benefits.
- ATO urges vigilance: new TFN and ABN scams – The ATO has warned about an increase in reports of fake websites offering to provide tax file numbers and Australian business numbers for a fee.
- Federal Budget fuel excise reduction: will all businesses benefit? – The uncertainty around fuel availability has seen fuel prices soar across Australia. The recent Federal Budget proposed an answer via a temporary (six-month) fuel excise reduction.
- ATO’s COVID-related support for SMSFs – The ATO is offering support and relief to SMSF trustees for the 2019–2020, 2020–2021 and 2021–2022 income years.
Please contact us if you wish to discuss how the points raised in Client Alert specifically affect you.
RittWatchman & Associates